how to apply
In selecting students who will benefit most from the Cooperstown Graduate Program and contribute most to the profession, the admissions committee weighs a number of factors: a strong academic record, an interest in public service, excellent writing skills, and a demonstrated committment to the field through museum work in either a staff or volunteer capacity. Knowing that students learn from one another, the committee seeks students with diverse experiences, interests and backgrounds.
Admission to the program is highly competitive; we accept approximately 15 students each fall. To be considered for admission for the Class of 2016, you must submit complete application materials by January 10, 2014.
Especially promising applicants will be invited to Cooperstown for a weekend of interviews March 13-16, 2014. The CGP admissions committee will make its final decision after Interview Weekend and will notify applicants by April 1, 2014.
To apply you will need to submit:
- A completed application
- A writing sample (No more than 5 pages from a paper or article you have written)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all previous educational institutions you have attended
- Scores from the GRE General Test
- Imagine your ideal museum. What is it like? Who does it serve? What is your job? Please provide a personal narrative on this subject of approximately 750 words (or four double-spaced typed pages).