Grades of "P" or "F" are assigned when such grades are authorized in accordance with faculty-established policy. That policy is as follows:
Faculty Option: A department may designate a course or courses in which only the Pass/Fail grading system shall be used. A department may designate a course or courses in which only the conventional letter grading shall be used. (Not subject to student option.)
Student Option: A student may elect to receive Pass/Fail grading in a course, provided the following conditions are met:
- A student must have successfully completed one full semester’s work at the College.
- Except in courses for which a department has designated only Pass/Fail grading, a student may elect only one course per academic semester or summer session for a total of four such semester or summer session courses for his entire college program.
- A student may not elect Pass/Fail grading for required courses in his major or specialization, minor, courses taken to satisfy a General Education requirement, or for courses designated by a department as not subject to student option.
- A student may take a Pass/Fail option in a required supporting course that is not listed as part of the major field requirement.
- A student who has completed his major field requirement may take additional hours in his major department for Pass/Fail credit.
- The student must request Pass/Fail grading during the designated Add/Drop period. A student indicating Pass/Fail status may change to a graded basis by requesting this change from the instructor before two-thirds of the course has been completed. The final date for these changes shall be set by the Registrar. (See Key Dates and Deadlines, a list of important dates published each semester and distributed to both students and faculty.)
- The criterion for a "P" will be achievement of the minimum requirements of the course.
- The "P" or "F" will be entered on the student transcript and hours successfully completed will count as credits for graduation. Hours graded "P" or "F" will not be included in the computation of the student’s GPA.
- Certain exceptions to the policy apply with regard to Physical Education (PHED) activity courses. A student may elect Pass/Fail grading in PHED activity courses in any semester, even concurrently with another Pass/Fail option course; and may accumulate a maximum total of 4 s.h. in PHED activity beyond the established maximum total credits for Pass/Fail option toward a degree.