SUNY Oneonta enforces the following policies regarding course auditing:
- Prospective auditors must have the permission of the instructor of the course and the department chair.
- Students may not audit a course in order to prepare for subsequent enrollment in that course.
- Students may not audit a course in order to make up work as a result of an incomplete.
- Students will be assessed a course audit fee if they are not enrolled at SUNY Oneonta at the time they audit a course.
- Course auditors will not be required to meet the requirements of the course, will not be officially enrolled in the course, will not be listed on course roster, will not earn any credit for the course, will not earn a grade for the course, and will not receive recognition for the course.
- Course auditors will not ordinarily be permitted to audit studio courses or the laboratory or field work portion of courses, or other course experiences which require individual attention or special arrangement.
- Course auditors may not register as an auditor until regular registration is completed and may not use space or equipment needed by regularly enrolled students.
- High school students may not audit courses without specific written permission from high school authorities.
- Course auditors not affiliated with the College will have only the privileges of library visitors; they may qualify for "community borrower" status.
- Matriculated SUNY Oneonta students may not audit study abroad courses.
Those who audit courses must also purchase a parking permit.