From President Kleniewski
To All Faculty and Staff
I am delighted to announce the selection of Dr. Evelyn Maria Thompson as SUNY Oneonta’s next provost and vice president of academic affairs. Her appointment will begin on July 18.
Dr. Thompson currently is vice president of research and sponsored programs at Tennessee State University in Nashville, where she has served in various positions since 1998. Prior to her tenure there, Dr. Thompson was an assistant professor at the University of Kentucky and an instructor here at SUNY Oneonta.
As provost, Dr. Thompson will ensure the overall integrity of SUNY Oneonta’s curricular program and lead all academic departments, the Milne Library, and several administrative offices in support of our mission. She will succeed Dr. F. Daniel Larkin, who last year announced his intent to retire from the position of provost and return to the college’s History Department.
Dr. Thompson earned a Ph.D. in textile science and textile economics from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, a master’s degree in textiles from The Ohio State University and a bachelor’s degree in home economics from Tennessee State University. Her extensive research portfolio includes projects funded by the National Science Foundation, Tennessee Board of Regents, Air Force Office of Scientific Research, and the federal departments of Health and Human Services, Housing and Urban Development, and Energy.
I am grateful for the high level of participation in this process campus wide and extend special thanks to the members of the Provost Search Committee who took great care in conducting an open and inclusive search:
- Gretchen Sorin, Committee Chair, Director and Distinguished Professor of Museum Studies
- Jerry Blechman, Professor of Earth Sciences
- Art Dauria, Chair and Professor of Communication Arts
- Kyle Hill, student
- Patrice Macaluso, Chair and Associate Professor of Theatre
- Steve Maniscalco, Director of Academic Instructional Technology
- Hanfu Mi, Professor of Elementary Education and Reading
- Heather Rutkowski, student
- Elizabeth Small, Chair and Assistant Professor of Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Roger Sullivan, Associate Vice President of Enrollment Management
- Trudy Thomas-Smith, Assistant Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Lisa Wenck, Senior Executive Employee Services Officer
- Colleen Brannan, Committee Administrative Staff, Senior Assistant to the President
I look forward to welcoming Dr. Thompson back to SUNY Oneonta this summer and know that our campus community will give her a warm reception.