Copyright © 2013 by SUNY Oneonta
- 108 Ravine Parkway
- Oneonta, NY 13820
To submit a Telecommunications Support Request call
This article will guide you through the steps needed to setup Windows Vista Mail to connect to your Oneonta e-mail through IMAP
1. Open Windows Vista Mail, go to Tools menu and select Accounts...
2. Click Add...
3. Make sure E-mail Account is selected and click on Next.
4. Enter your full name and click Next.
5. Enter your Oneonta e-mail address and click Next
6. Within the Setup e-mail servers dialog box: Select IMAP from the list of server types. Enter imap.oneonta.edu in the Incoming Mail Server (IMAP) box. IMPORTANT: If you check your e-mail from your home computer and that computer connects to the internet via Road-Runner or another Internet Service Provider and you don't use the SUNY Oneonta free dial-up service, you may need to enter outgoing mail server settings specific to your Internet Service Provider. If this is the case, you would need to contact your Internet Service Provider to obtain that information.
Enter smtp.oneonta.edu in the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) box Check the check box Outgoing server requires authentication.
8. Enter your Oneonta username and password and then click Next
9. Make sure Do not download my e-mail and folders at this time checkbox is checked and click Finish.
10. Click on your Oneonta e-mail account and then click Properties.
11. Click the Servers tab.
12. Under Outgoing Mail Server, check the box labeled This server requires
13. Click Settings.Check that Logon Information is set to Use the same settings as my incoming mail server. Click OK button.
14. Click the Advanced tab.
15. Check the box labeled This server requires a secure connection (SSL) under both Incoming mail (IMAP) and Outgoing Mail (SMTP) and change the port numbers.
16. Click OK button.
Now Windows Vista Mail is setup for your Oneonta e-mail account through IMAP - If you are having any problems please call the Help Desk at x4567