Independent Study Guidelines
The purpose of independent graduate study is to allow students to pursue projects that do not ﬁt within the framework of regular course offerings. Such course work is intended to be a truly independent project of a special nature. The advisor, the faculty sponsor, the department chair, and the divisional dean must approve the student’s project description as it is submitted on the appropriate independent study course registration form. To be eligible for independent study, the graduate student generally must meet the following requirements:
- Be in a graduate degree program or have received a master’s degree.
- Have completed at least 6 s.h.* of graduate study at Oneonta with a grade point average of at least 3.00 in the area (or closely related areas) of the proposed independent study.
* Some departments/programs may require more than 6 s.h. of graduate study prior to enrolling in an Independent Study course.
- Have a cumulative graduate GPA of at least a 3.00.
- Have adequate preparation for undertaking the project.
- Have no more than 6 s.h. of graduate independent study work during any one semester and no more than a total of 12 s.h. of graduate credit in any combination of independent study and Thesis in their degree program.
- Have completed a graduate independent study form, available from the Graduate Ofﬁce. The completed form must accompany the student’s registration form at the time of registration.
Action on applications for Independent Study is guided by the following considerations:
- The work to be covered is not available in a regular course offering.
- The study is clearly related to the applicant’s over-all program of study.
- An Oneonta faculty member vouches for the student’s ability to work independently.
- The instructor holds Graduate Teaching Faculty Status and has adequate time and necessary academic background in the ﬁeld chosen to guide Independent Study on the graduate level
Note: Independent Study courses will be awarded a letter grade. The pass/fail option is not available.