ONEONTA, N.Y. -- The Center for Social Responsibility and Community at SUNY Oneonta will present its 10th annual Volunteerism and Social Responsibility Conference from 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 6. Registration will begin at 9:30 a.m. in the Morris Conference Center on the college's campus. Admission to this event is complimentary, and community members are invited to attend. Lunch will be provided, and every participant will receive an official conference T-shirt.
Designed to inspire participants to make a difference in their communities, the program will open with a keynote address by Paul Landers, chief executive officer of Pathfinder Village in Edmeston. His talk, entitled "The
ME WE Generation!," will describe the benefits of volunteering and being socially responsible. He will compare the generational behaviors of Baby Boomers, sometimes called the "Me Generation," and Millennials, known as the "We Generation." Landers also will discuss Down syndrome and developmental disabilities, and the opportunities available at Pathfinder Village.
Following Landers' presentation, participants can select from among nine workshops to attend:
- "Going Against the Flow: When Healthy Choices Aren't Popular," presented by Dr. Julie Dostal of LEAF
- "Living, Working and Learning in Pathfinder Village," presented by Carl Koenig of Pathfinder Village
- "One Cause, Our Campus," presented by members of the St. Jude Giants club at SUNY Oneonta
- "Kids Helping Kids: Service Learning with Student Activists," presented by 5th- and 6th-graders from Riverside Elementary
- "Alternate Spring Breaks, Rebuilding America One House at a Time," presented by Peter Campbell from SUNY Delhi
- "Empowerment, Diversity and Social Justice in the Classroom," presented by Summit Seekers for Social Justice, which is a new club at SUNY Oneonta
- "AmeriCorps VISTA: Serving to Improve Lives," presented by VISTA members Brianna Headley and Mary Pysnik
- A workshop about Colleges Against Cancer will be presented by Heather Davies and Laura Boff of SUNY Oneonta, and Danielle Schafer of SUNY Delhi
- A workshop presented by the SUNY Oneonta chapter of Democracy Matters.
The Volunteerism and Social Responsibility Conference is co-sponsored by SUNY Oneonta and its Center for Social Responsibility and Community, and the O'Connor Center for Community Service at SUNY Delhi. More information is available from Linda Drake, director of the Center for Social Responsibility and Community, at (607) 436-2098 or by email to email@example.com.