ONEONTA, N.Y. -- Hundreds of alumni, their families, and friends of the SUNY College at Oneonta will return to campus for Reunion Weekend 2010 from Friday, June 4, through Sunday, June 6. In addition to gatherings, events, and athletic competitions, the College’s Alumni Association will present its annual awards in recognition of outstanding contributions to the College.
Friday’s events include golf and tennis tournaments, tours of the campus and Biological Field Station, shows in the College’s digital planetarium, a clam bake, and a comedy show by alumnus Jonathan Winnicki of the Class of 2006.
On Saturday at 10:30 a.m., a reception will honor the 50th Reunion Class of 1960 as well as the recipients of the Annual Alumni Award and Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Alumni Awards [see below]. The morning will also feature a service project by the Young Alumni Council, the Alumni Association’s annual meeting, and an exhibit of materials from the College’s archives and special collections by librarian Heather Heyduk.
The Reunion Weekend barbecue, catered by Brooks, will kick off an afternoon full of activities. The alumni art exhibit, coordinated by Tim Sheesley of the Class of 1977, will be featured in the Fine Arts Building from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. The Educational Opportunity Program Alumni Steering Committee will host a meeting at 1:30 p.m. and a friendly card tournament at 2:30 p.m. in the Hunt College Union to benefit the EOP Alumni Scholarship Fund.
Receptions to honor alumni of specific years or decades, donors, and special-interest groups will be held throughout the weekend. Presentations will also be offered on “Cents and Sensibility: The Practical Guide to Money and Aging” at 2 p.m. on Saturday and “The Art of Pairing Food with NYS Wine and Beer” at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Sunday morning will feature a bon-voyage champagne brunch (9 a.m.--11 a.m.) as well as the second showing of the alumni art exhibit (11 a.m.--1 p.m.).
The 2010 Annual Alumni Awards will honor the following recipients at the Saturday morning reception:
- Jean Ogle Hickey ’52, an honorary Director on the College at Oneonta Foundation Board of Directors, will receive the Excellence in Alumni Service Award.
- Timothy Mooney ’76, Director of the Bureau of Supplemental Food Programs with the New York State Department of Health, will receive the Distinguished Alumna/Alumnus Award.
- Ron Moulton ’69, Treasurer of the Village Help for South Sudan, will receive the Distinguished Alumna/Alumnus Award.
- Carol Blunt-White ’76, an independent consultant for professional development in equity, team-building, student achievement, and other areas, will receive the Outstanding Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion Alumna/Alumnus Award.
- Dr. Ernest Goodman, Professor Emeritus of Political Science, will receive the Emeritus Faculty/Staff Outstanding Service Award.
The 2010 EOP Alumni Awards will honor the following recipients:
- Josephine Finn ’72, Monticello Village Court Judge, will receive the EOP Outstanding Alumni Award for Excellence in Civil Community Service.
- Ron Sanchez `97, Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach at the University of Virginia, will receive the EOP Outstanding Alumni Award for Excellence in Education and Community Service.
Reunion Weekend 2010 is open to all alumni and friends of the College at Oneonta, as well as to members of the community. Some events require advance registration. More information is available on the web at www.oneontaalumni.com or from the Office of Alumni Affairs at (607) 436-2526.