Student Travel for Excellence Program: ACADEMIC STEP
Across the academic disciplines, SUNY Oneonta encourages student participation in scholarship and intellectual excellence along with local, regional, and national dissemination of this scholarship and creativity. To this end the college has established a limited pool of funds which may be sought competitively by students to defer some of their approved related costs. To be eligible for funding the student must be a full-time enrolled undergraduate or graduate student at SUNY Oneonta at the time of application and at the time of the funded activity. The student must also follow the application process detailed below. Students and their faculty sponsors should bear in mind that these funds are subject to the relevant New York State guidelines on such expenditures.
Questions should be directed to your School Dean’s office:
School of Arts and Humanities – 111 Schumacher – (607) 436-2520
School of Economics and Business – 226 Netzer – (607) 436-3458
School of Education and Human Ecology – 373 Fitzelle – (607) 436-2541
School of Natural and Mathematical Sciences – 215 Physical Science – (607) 436-2125
School of Social Science – 111 Schumacher – (607) 436-3488
Potential fundable activities include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- student travel costs specifically related to conducting publishable academic research or presenting such research at a professional conference,
- student travel costs necessary for academic performances or academic exhibitions of student creative works, and
- student incurred expenses for small supplies specifically required for either of the above activities.
Please note that the pool of funds is limited; the college cannot guarantee funding to all student applicants.
Application Procedure To Be Followed:
- Students wishing to apply for funding in this program must write a proposal detailing their anticipated travel activities, itemizing their anticipated expenses, and confirming how these activities and expenses conform to the program’s guidelines. Proposals also must indicate whether the student will be receiving activity-related funding from any other source.
- A faculty signed letter of support describing the activity and its academic relevance must accompany the student’s proposal. This must be written by the student’s faculty academic advisor or the faculty member specifically sponsoring the student’s academic activity.
- One copy of the proposal and supporting letter must be forwarded to the Academic Dean of the student’s major.
- The relevant Academic Dean will review the student’s proposal and make a decision on funding. The Dean will share the decision with the applying student and faculty author of the proposal’s supporting letter. The college Provost also will be copied for the purpose of information.
- Successful student applicants must comply with all State and campus travel, expenditure, and reimbursement guidelines and procedures including providing receipts for activity-related expenditures. Failure to comply may result in loss of funding. Questions should be directed to your School Dean's Office.
Note: Although student applications must be made in advance of the activities, in keeping with State expenditure guidelines, students ONLY may receive approved funds reimbursing expenses after they have been incurred. Funds WILL NOT be provided in advance of activities.
Academic STEP Application (PDF Format)
Assumption of Risk and Release of Claims Form:
To be eligible for STEP funding, students must complete the SUNY "Assumption of Risk and Release of Claims Form," which is available in html or MS Word format through the links below:
Assumption of Risk and Release of Claims Form (PDF Format)