SUNY Oneonta

Housing Optinos



If you have questions about move-in day, call the Office of Residential Community Life at 607-436-3182.


Building or Group



Hulbert Hall-
Rooms 101-114
Rooms 201-214
Rooms 301-377
Rooms 520-577

Tuesday, August 21


Hulbert Hall-
Rooms 401-477
Rooms 635-677

Tuesday, August 21


Community Psychology LLC
Teach for Change LLC
Pre Health Professions LLC
Leadership LLC

Tuesday, August 21


Littell Hall
Wilber Hall

Wednesday, August 22


Golding Hall
Tobey Hall

Wednesday, August 22


Hays Hall-
2nd and 3rd floor

Friday, August 24


Hays Hall-
1st floor and Garden Level

Friday, August 24


Transfers in all other halls

Friday, August 24



View our Frequently Asked Questions:

Can I move in early?

No. There are many area motel and bed and breakfast accommodations if you will be arriving before the residence halls open. If you plan to arrive after the start of classes, please notify the Residential Community Life office (607) 436-3182.

Can I mail belongings before I arrive?

Yes. Trunks, boxes and packages can be sent by UPS or Parcel Post. Each mailed item should be addressed to:
Student Name
SUNY Oneonta (leave this line out if there is not enough address lines available)
Mailbox # and Residence Hall Name
68 Bugbee Road
Oneonta, NY 13820

You will receive a mailbox number upon arrival and check-in to your residence hall. Use your room number until you know your mailbox number.

What is not permitted in the residence halls?

There are a number of items that are not allowed in the residence halls. These include: extension cords, air conditioners, pets, cooking appliances (i.e. toasters, hot pots, hot plates and other appliances that use electricity to cook food), candles, firearms, ammunition, martial arts and archery equipment, and halogen lamps. Please consult the Student Code of Conduct and your Residence Hall License for a complete list and more details.

What size are the mattresses?

Most mattresses are regular length (80 by 36 inches), however, we do have some extra-long ones in the mix. Since most students like to bring egg crate mattress covers, we suggest twin size extra-long sheets to cover the extra bulk, but regular-size comforters and blankets.

How much space is under the bed?

All of our residence halls have modified loft beds (that have capacity to be raised and lowered) under which is approximately three (3) feet of space at its highest point.

Can I bring my own rug?

Yes, you may use your own rug; rugs are not provided in the residence hall rooms. However, it is important to first measure the floor in your assigned room to determine an appropriate rug size.

Do I need curtains?

There are blinds covering all windows, but window sizes vary. It is best to measure first before buying curtains or valances for decoration. Curtains must be fire retardant, and a certificate of compliance must be filed with your Residence Hall Director at check-in.

Can I have a refrigerator or microwave?

Yes. Refrigerator size is limited to "counter top” height. You can bring your own cube refrigerator or lease one here: Microwaves are permitted, as are coffee makers with an automatic shut off. Be sure to communicate with your roommate before you arrive to coordinate who is bringing what.

What telephone, network and cable services are available?

Telephone: Basic telephone service, local calls and voice mail are provided upon request in each bedroom at no extra cost. Please submit this form when you arrive on campus if you would like a landline in your room. Phone service includes unlimited long distance service within the continental United States. Each student can apply with the Office of Telecommunications for an authorization code to make long distance calls overseas, resulting in a personal phone bill. Students should provide their own telephone. 2.4 GHz phones are not allowed in the residence halls as they interfere with Wi-Fi signal.

Television: Cable TV is also provided in each bedroom. Students must provide their own digital-ready TV.  The cable TV channel lineup includes HD service, two premium channels (HBO and Showtime), and a selection of music channels.

Data Networks: Wireless network service is available in every residence hall, as are computer labs with computers and printers. Wired network access in residence hall rooms will be provided upon request. Please submit this form when you arrive on campus in the fall. Personal routers and wireless access points are not allowed in the residence halls.

More information on phone, networking and cable service is available here.

How much does laundry cost?

It’s free! High-efficiency Maytag front-loading washers and dryers are located in all residence halls. Machine use is unlimited; no quarters needed! For your convenience, you can use our LaundryView service to see if any washers or dryers are available before lugging your laundry to the laundry room – and set up a text alert to let you know when a machine is free.

Are cooking facilities available?

Snack preparation areas are available in all buildings. These include microwaves and sinks. Double-style buildings (with the exception of Hulbert Hall) and Higgins Hall have kitchens with ovens.

What forms of transportation are available on and off campus?

The student activity fee you pay supports a bus service that runs through campus and downtown every half hour. Service begins at 7 a.m. and ends at between 12:30 and 1:30 a.m. on weekdays. The schedule varies on weekends.

Oneonta Bus Lines charters buses to New York City and Long Island during student holiday and vacation time periods. Call (607) 432-4040 for the schedule. Trailways, which can be reached by calling 1-800-858-8555, also provides transportation to and from campus.

After dark, students may contact University Police for an on-campus escort from one location to another. There are also "Blue Light" phones conveniently located around campus in case of an emergency. The "Blue Light" phones are for emergency use only and are directly linked to the University Police Department.

Is there an ATM on campus?

Yes. NBT and Community Bank automatic teller machines (NYCE, PLUS, CIRRUS, VISA, MYASTERCARD, DISCOVER, American Express, Novus, Quest, Diner's Club Card) are located in the Hunt College Union. There is a Sidney Federal Credit Union ATM in Mills Dining Hall.

Move in Day Video: Parents' Advice