Financial Aid Application Process
Remember to file your FAFSA every year. The FAFSA is now available on OCTOBER 1st!! That's 3 months EARLIER than the previous January 1st date! Follow the highlighted links below to complete your application process online, step by step.
**Mid Year Transfers begin at Step 3.
The first step in applying for financial aid is to obtain a Federal Student Aid ID. The FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature. The student and one parent will need their own seperate FSA ID to sign such legal documents as the FAFSA application and federal loan applications. You only need to apply for the FSA ID once and can use it each year you apply for aid. It can take 3 – 5 days to receive confirmation back that your ID is ready to be used. To learn more about the FSA ID, visit the FSA ID Site.
Once you have received your FSA ID confirmation, it’s time to complete your
FAFSA.. The FAFSA must be completed each year that you plan to receive the benefits of financial aid. The FAFSA is available any time after October 1st (this is a change from the previous date of January 1st) and uses “prior-prior year” tax data. Click here to watch a short video!
When you come to the end of the FAFSA online process, you will have an opportunity to complete a New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application. If you missed this opportunity, don’t worry - you may complete TAP on the Web now. SUNY Oneonta's TAP code is 0930.
To check the status of your FASFA you can click here. You will need your FSA ID (Step 1) to access this site. It is essential that all transfer students make sure to release their FAFSA data to SUNY Oneonta. You can make that correction electronically by adding school code 002847. It is also important to inform New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (NYSHESC) that you will attend SUNY Oneonta. To review your TAP status and make corrections electronically you can visit My HESC Account Access. Check your school code and make sure your TAP grant is scheduled to come to SUNY Oneonta (0930).
New students will receive their official Oneonta username and password from the Admissions Office. With this username, students will be able to access their personal records which includes their financial aid information at http://my.oneonta.edu It is important to understand that this username is NOT the same as your FSA ID.
Once you have been accepted by the Admissions Office and the Financial Aid Office has received your FAFSA, you will receive an eAward notification by email. Please review your eAward Letter carefully and Terms of Financial Aid awards. You will find additional explanation about your award letter here and you should become familiar with your Rights and Responsibilities as a student aid recipient. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you wish to decline or reduce any part of your award.
There may be additional documentation that we are required to collect. We will notify you by email instructing you to sign into your My Oneonta account to view your outstanding requirements. The instructions will be listed along with what is needed. You may view our institutional verification policies here. Please do not send your copies of tax returns - we cannot accept them.
Submit completed requirements to:
Fax: (607) 436-2659
SUNY Oneonta Financial Aid Office
123 Netzer Administration Building
Oneonta, NY 13820-4015
Not submitting requested documentation within 30 days may result in a forfeiture of your financial aid eligibilty!
Once New York State has a completed TAP application from the student and the state budget has passed, you will receive a TAP award certificate from NYSHESC with your official TAP award. While you are waiting for this process to be completed, you may see an estimated TAP award appearing in your Financial Aid Award package. If you want to review your TAP application and/or make address or college code changes, you can do so by clicking here. SUNY Oneonta's TAP school code is 0930. Questions about your award should be directed to NYSHESC (888-697-4372). Please note that the SUNY Tuition Credit appearing in your award package is in addition to the TAP grant and also determined by NYSHESC.
If you received a Federal Work Study Award in your financial aid package, you will have the opportunity to be assigned a job on or off campus and earn a paycheck bi-weekly based on the number of hours you worked. Work Study awards are not deducted from your tuition bill, but are used as spending money for the semester.
To apply for a work study job, students are required to read the Federal Work Study Guide and complete the preference request form. The guide will instruct you how to complete the FWS process in order to begin working. We will email you when it is time to apply.
Returning Perkins Loan Borrowers
If you have borrowed previously at SUNY Oneonta, the loan will be processed automatically.
New Perkins Loan Borrowers
You will receive instructions via e-mail, to complete the entrance interview and electronically sign your MPN when it is ready. When you receive notification, please follow these Electronic Signature Instructions:
- Go to the Student Loan Service Center website at http://slsc.albany.edu
- Choose the following links: Borrowers, Access and Sign your electronic Documents, Complete Your Entrance Interview and Sign Your Promissory Note. Follow the instructions to Logon. If you recieve an error message stating a Federal perkins award does not exist, contact your financial aid counselor.
- Once your entrance interview is completed you will be directed to an authentication process. If the student is successfully authenticated, they will be prompted to electronically sign their MPN. If the student fails the authentication process, you will be prompted to print your MPN. You should prepopulate your MPN on the website prior to printing the paper document. All four pages must be printed, filled out correctly and signed. The completed original MPN document is mailed to us for review and further processing. It may take 2-3 weeks for processing. Please send completed MPN's to:
SUNY Oneonta Financial Aid Office
% Perkins MPN
123 Netzer Administration Building
Oneonta, NY 13820-4015
Your rights to borrow funds under this program are time sensitive and subject to change. If you have any questions about the Perkins Loan Process please contact your financial aid counselor immediately.
All federal student and parent loans are processed through the Federal Direct Student Loan Programs.
RETURNING STUDENTS who have borrowed previously will be processed automatically.
NEW STUDENTS seeking student loans will complete two steps:
- Complete Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling*. This on line counseling session goes over the student's rights and responsibilities in borrowing student loans. After the student has signed in with their FSA ID, select "Complete Counseling" and then "Entrance Counseling." You will find SUNY Oneonta listed as SUNY COLLEGE AT ONEONTA.
- Next (you may complete this in the same session), you must sign an Master Promissory Note* (MPN). MPNs are valid for 10 years and transfer from school to school. If you previously completed an MPN (for example you previously attended a school that participated in Federal Direct Student Loans), you may not have to complete a new one (although it never hurts if you are unsure). You can check if you have a valid MPN by selecting the option 'Completed MPN's' once logged on to www.StudentLoans.gov.
*Please allow 24-48 hours for your data to be transmitted by Department of Education and processed by SUNY Oneonta.
Students should contact their financial aid counselor to decline or reduce loan amounts. SUNY Oneonta is dedicated to helping students keep their loan debt down as much as possible. Please take some time to look at our Making Cents Financial Literacy Program.
If your parents plan to borrow from the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), these THREE steps will have to be completed:
- The student will log onto
myOneonta and accept the PLUS loan.
To do so, choose the Student Services & Financial Aid tab, and select
Financial Aid. Select Award, then Accept Award Offer. From
the Award Package menu, select Accept Award Offer tab. You
will see a drop down box on the PLUS line where you select
"Accept." In the next box, you indicate how much of your total
eligibility you would like to exercise. When you are done click "Submit Decision."
- Next, your parent will sign into StudentLoans.gov with THEIR FSA ID (from STEP 1) and click on "Apply for PLUS loan." You may begin the PLUS loan process after May 1st of the upcoming aid year. This process will collect borrower information and perform a credit check. You will find SUNY Oneonta listed as SUNY COLLEGE AT ONEONTA. In the event you are denied a PLUS due to credit, please contact the financial aid counselor assigned to your student for additional options.
- Once approved, the parent borrower will complete a PLUS Master Promissory Note* (MPN) on the same site (during the same session if you wish) by clicking on "Complete MPN" and then on "Parent PLUS."
*Please allow for 24-48 hours for your data to be transmitted by Department of Education and processed by SUNY Oneonta. Please be sure to borrow only what you need.
ATTENTION FUTURE TEACHERS!
Please review the eligibility details of the Federal Teach Grant, and if you qualify for this program and are interested in learning more, you should complete a TEACH Grant Counseling interview. The second step requires you to make an appointment to meet with your financial aid counselor. If you are still interested after going over the requirements of the TEACH Grant, you will make an appointment to meet with your Division of Education faculty adviser. Your advisor will sign off on a TEACH Counseling form that shows that you are on track academically to maintain your TEACH award. After completing these steps in order, you will meet again with your financial aid counselor to finalize your award and be given instructions on when and how to complete your Agreement to Serve ATS.
Please be sure to update your local and permanent addresses when necessary. In order to protect your privacy, the College at Oneonta requires you request address changes in writing. It is extremely important that you inform the College when your address has changed. Address changes must be made at the Registrar's Office by completing the Revision to Student Records Form. This form should be completed, signed and returned to the Registrar's Office (Netzer 131).
If you borrowed Federal Direct Student Loans, Federal Perkins Loans or participated in the Federal TEACH Grant during your attendance at SUNY Oneonta, and stop attending or dropped below 6 credits (for example, you are less than half time, transferring, withdrawing or graduating), you must complete a Federal Loan Exit Interview, Federal Perkins Exit Interview (information will be sent to you from SUNY Loan Service Center) or Federal TEACH Exit Interview. A hold will be placed on your records that will prevent the release of grades, academic transcripts and your diploma until you complete this requirement.
If you need assistance with these steps, please call our office at 607-436-2532. We are here to help!