Private (Alternative) Educational Loans
Students seeking additional payment options may explore a Private Educational Loan. We strongly recommend students use their federal loan eligibility before applying for additional loans.
SUNY Oneonta does not have a preferred Private Educational Loan lender list.
We recommend you use the web to research which lender is suitable for you and your needs.
What you should know about Private Educational Loans:
* Use a reputable lender with the most competitive rates
* Generally a credit worthy co-signer is required
* When you have selected a lender, you may complete the loan application online; requesting to borrow the
amount you need for the academic year (Cost of Attendance minus your federal and state aid.)
* Once approved SUNY Oneonta will be notified
* Within a few days you will see your Private Educational Loan added to your Financial Aid Award package
If you have any questions at all, or would like to discuss differences between private and federal student loans regarding terms, conditions, repayment and forgiveness options, please contact your Financial Aid Counselor by calling us at 607-436-2532.