Grant Programs


Grants do not need to be repaid. Sources of grants include the federal and state government, SUNY Oneonta and a number of private organizations. You can apply for federal grants using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Other programs may require additional or different applications. Your financial aid counselor can answer questions about the following grant programs:

Federal PELL Grant is a federal grant program. Eligibility is determined by Congress. More information about this and other federal aid programs is available in The Guide to Federal Student Aid published by the Department of Education. These funds may be used to defer charges.

Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a federal grant program for exceptionally needy students. These funds may be used to defer charges.

Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH) is a federal grant program with a teaching service obligation. This program provides up to $4,000 per academic year for full-time study. In exchange, the student must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field (currently defined as bilingual education and English language acquisition, foreign language, mathematics, reading specialist, science or special education) in a school serving low-income students for at least four academic years within eight years of completing the program of study. If the student does not satisfy the service obligation, the amounts of the TEACH grants received are treated as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loan and must be repaid with interest. The Department of Education website can provide additional details.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is a grant program for New York State residents attending an approved college in New York State. Eligible applicants must have lived in New York for 12 consecutive months; be enrolled full time in a degree program; be U.S. citizens or permanent residents; declare a major in writing no later than the second half of the sophomore year and have a New York State net taxable income within legislated limits. More information about this and other New York State aid programs is available from the New York State Higher Educational Services Corporation (NYSHESC). We will estimate your TAP award until we receive notice from NYSHESC of your actual award amount. Awards are contingent upon passage of the New York state budget. Your official TAP Award Certificate from NYSHESC will be used to defer charges.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) funds are New York State grants that may be used to defer charges.

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) is a New York State grant program for eligible undergraduate degree students enrolled for 3-11 hours per semester.

State University Supplemental Tuition Award (SUSTA) is awarded to students who receive a TAP award and have earned a qualifying cumulative grade-point average.