Financial Aid Awards



You must file your FAFSA every year if you plan to take advantage of financial aid. The FAFSA is now available OCTOBER 1st! That's 3 months earlier than the previous date of January 1st!! Click here to watch a short video!!

Financial Aid is a two step process. The first step; the eligibility phase is represented by your award notification. The second step is to turn that eligibility into cash that you can use to actually pay your student bill and the difference will be refunded for your other expenses. This second phase requires additional steps which occur over the coming months. For some kinds of financial aid these steps are very easy, others are more complex. Be assured we will assist you each step of the way.  Our goal is to convert all eligibility for which you are interested, into real money that you can use to pay your tuition bill and other expenses.

In certain circumstances we are required to make adjustments to your awards. Some examples include; receiving additional scholarship awards, becoming an RA or ATM, review of class registration to insure only coursework applicable towards your degree count towards aid eligibility, or changes based upon enrollment. When a revision is made, we will notify you. Revised Awards supersede all previous awards.

We itemize each of the awards you qualify for and tell you the amount for each semester. You may pick and choose the awards that best suits your needs. As described below, some awards are grants that are not repaid. Other awards are loans that must be repaid and still others are work programs where you are paid based on the number of hours you perform work.

Student Budget

This is the average, used for all students in your category, of direct charges (charges billed by SUNY Oneonta) and indirect costs (other costs you may experience while attending SUNY Oneonta)

Your financial aid package, along with your personal resources, attempts to cover average expenses (direct charges and indirect costs) associated with attending SUNY Oneonta.

Your actual expenses will vary based upon choices you make for; living arrangements, dining choice, type and frequency of travel/commuting, purchase of new/used books, and usual personal needs.

Direct Costs

These are average charges payable to SUNY Oneonta. Such charges include tuition, fees, and perhaps room and board (if you live on campus).  Charges for residence living and meal plans vary according to the living arrangement and meal plans you choose. Your financial aid eligibility is based upon an average, not upon actual charges. If your actual charges exceed the average you must expect to pay the the difference from personal resources or use financial aid designated for other charges. Your financial aid eligibility will not increase. You may be able to defer payment for these charges with your financial aid awards. Those awards are identified below.

Financial aid disbursements are first used to pay direct costs. After direct costs are paid any additional financial aid disbursements are refunded to the student/parent and can be used for indirect costs.

Indirect Costs

These are costs a student may incur while attending SUNY Oneonta. Such costs include traveling home when classes are not in session, books, personal expenses, and rent (if you live off campus and this is equal to the allowance you would receive if chose to live on campus) . Your financial aid eligibility is based upon an average, not upon actual costs. If your actual costs exceed the average you must expect to pay the the difference from personal resources. Your financial aid eligibility will not increase. Since these costs originate from sources external to SUNY Oneonta you will be expected to pay for these products and services, not defer payment with your financial aid.


Grant Programs

Federal PELL Grant is  a Federal Grant program. Eligibility is determined by Congress. For more information about this and other Federal Aid Programs review The Guide to Federal Student Aid, published by the Department of Education. The award may be used to defer charges.

Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a Federal Grant Program. This program is for exceptionally needy students. These limited funds are awarded generally to students with need and an EFC of 0. These funds may be used to defer charges.

Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education  Grant (TEACH) TEACH is a Federal Grant Program with a teaching service obligation. This program provides up to $4000 per academic year for full time study. In exchange for the grant the student must agree to serve as a full time teacher in a high need field (currently defined as Bilingual education and English language acquisition, Foreign language, Mathematics, Reading specialist, Science, Special education) in a school serving low income students for at least four academic years within eight years of completing the program of study. If the student does not satisfy the service obligation, the amounts of the TEACH Grants received are treated as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loan and must be repaid with interest. The Department of Education website can provide additional details.

To be eligible a student must:

  1. file a FAFSA,
  2. meet general Title IV eligibility criteria
  3. currently matriculated (in your first undergraduate degree) in one of the following programs:

    Undergraduate (01):

    *CHED  Childhood Education (1-6)
    *ECCE  Early Child/Childhood Education (B-6)
    *ECHE  Early Childhood Education (B-2)
    *MVCH  Childhood Education (1-6) MVCC Campus
    AEBI    Adolescent Education Biology
    AECM  Adolescent Education Chemistry
    AEES   Adolescent Education Earth Science
    AEFR   Adolescent Education French
    AEMA  Adolescent Education Mathematics
    AEPH   Adolescent Education Physics
    AESP   Adolescent Education Spanish
    FCSE   Family and Consumer Sciences Education
    *FREN   French
    *SPAN  Spanish

    Graduate (02):

    **ADOL  Adolescence Education
    **ETEC  Educational Technology Specialist
    LB6     Literacy Education (B-6)
    L512   Literacy Education (5-12)
    FCSE  Family and Consumer Sciences Education
    SPEC  Special Education; Early Childhood Education
    SPCD  Special Education; Childhood Education
    SPAD  Special Education; Adolescence Education
    FLED  Foreign Language Education

    *In order to obtain a teaching job in a high-need field, you must complete a master's program in a high-need field.

    **In order to be eligible you must already have certification in a high need field.

  4. Intend to teach in a high need field at a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families and
  5. Maintain a 3.25 gpa  or in the case of first year undergrad a 3.25 high school gpa based on a 4.0 scale or in the case of first year grad a 3.25 undergrad gpa. GPA requirement is waived if you scored above the 75th percentile on any nationally normed standardized admission test.

To apply the student must make an appointment with his/her financial aid counselor where additional steps will be explained.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)is a grant program administered by the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (NYSHESC) for New York State residents attending an approved college in New York State. Eligible applicants must have lived in New York for 12 consecutive months; provide proof of high school diploma or eligible equivalent; be enrolled full time in an approved degree program (12 credits applicable to the degree program per semester); maintain good academic standing, be U.S. citizens or permanent residents; declare a major in writing no later than the second half of the sophomore year; have a New York State net taxable income within legislated limits; and not be in default on a student loan guaranteed by NYSHESC or any repayment of State awards. More information about this and other New York State aid programs is available from the New York State Higher Educational Services Corporation (NYSHESC). We will estimate your TAP award until we receive notice from NYSHESC of your actual award amount. Awards are contingent upon passage of the New York state budget. Your official TAP Award Certificate from NYSHESC will be used to defer charges.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) funds are New York State grants which may be used to defer charges.

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) is a New York State grant program for eligible undergraduate degree students enrolled for 3-11 hours per semester.

State University Supplemental Tuition Award (SUSTA) is awarded to students who receive a TAP award and have earned a qualifying cumulative grade point average.


Work Programs

If your Award Letter contains a Federal Work-Study (FWS) Award, a Federal Work Study Information Sheet will be mailed to you soon. Please read the instruction sheet carefully so that you may find a job that is compatible with your work experience and your class schedule. Students with Awards from the Federal Work-Study Program must work to earn this money. Students employed under this program will be paid every two weeks. These limited funds are awarded generally to students with need and an EFC< 3800.These funds cannot be used to defer charges.

Note: Financial Aid Awards are contingent upon SUNY Oneonta receiving adequate federal funds to support these programs. In the event of any changes, you will be notified. State and Federal budget discussions may lead to changes in funding levels, cost increases, or regulatory changes.

Loan Programs

Federal Perkins Loans *This program has ended*

The Federal Direct Stafford Loan is a Federal educational loan with a low interest rate and extended repayment. Eligibility for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan is on the same basis as other need-based student financial aid.

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan (Unsub) Students who do not demonstrate "financial need" for a subsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loan, are eligible to borrow a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan.

The Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS) is a federal loan option for parents of dependent students. The parent's credit history is considered by the lender before approving the loan. In the event a parent does not qualify for this loan, the student may become eligible for additional Federal Unsubsidized Loan. Contact your financial aid counselor to discuss this option.

Special Note about Federal Direct Loans:

A new provision to the Direct Loan statutory requirements t limits a first-time borrower’s eligibility (only first time borrowers on or after July1, 2013 are subject to the provision) for Direct Subsidized Loans to a period not to exceed 150 percent of the length of the borrower’s educational program. Under certain conditions, the provision also causes first-time borrowers who have exceeded the 150 percent limit to lose the interest subsidy on their Direct Subsidized Loans.

Students/parents who borrow in the Federal Direct Loan program(s) complete an Electronic Master Promissory Note (e-MPN) , which remains in effect throughout the student's college career (with exceptions). This procedure eliminates the need to complete subsequent Promissory notes each award year.  Previous Federal Direct Loan borrowers who previously negotiated an e-MPN therefore will not complete a new one. However, returning students must notify the Financial Aid Office if they wish to reduce or decline any loan(s) offered.

*Please note that students that graduate from high school at the age of 17 ARE able to sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for federal student loans. This is one of the few exceptions to the Defense of Infancy laws*

Other Programs

We have included private scholarships or assistance which you have informed us. It is your responsibility to inform the Financial Aid Office about any private scholarships/awards you will receive.


Satisfactory Academic Progress and Enrollment

If a student is enrolled in courses that do not count toward his degree, they cannot be used to determine enrollment status unless they are eligible remedial courses. This means you cannot receive aid for classes that do not count toward your degree or certificate. At the time you complete your degree requirements you become ineligible for aid, whether you choose to graduate or not. Also, federal student aid can be awarded only for learning that results from instruction provided or overseen by the school. It cannot be awarded for any portion of a program based on study or life experience prior to enrollment in the program, or based on tests of learning that are not associated with educational activities overseen by the school.

All students receiving Federal/State funds must continue to make progress towards their degree requirements. These requirements include both a qualitative and quantitative component. Specific SAP requirements.