As has already been pointed out, employers will ask numerous questions
during the interview, usually with a special purpose in mind. The manner
in which you respond, and the thought given to the response, will enter
into the final decision to invite you for a follow-up interview or send
you a rejection letter. It will be worth your time and effort to review
the following questions. They are examples of the type of questions you
may find yourself having to answer.
To help you prepare for the interview please take advantage of a great online interview program called InterviewStream! This service is provided to our students by the Office of Alumni Affairs. InterviewStream allows you to practice interviews via webcam in the comfort of your home.
- Tell me about yourself.
- In what college and/or community activities have you participated?
- If you have not been active on campus, why not?
- Have you held any leadership responsibilities? If so, what were they
and what did you learn from this experience? If you didn't hold any
leadership responsibilities, why not?
- Why did you choose your particular college major? If you were starting
all over, would you choose the same one? If so, why? If not, why not?
- In looking at your academic program, which classes did you enjoy the
most? The least? Why?
- Do you feel you have done the best scholastic work of which you are
capable? If so, why? If not, why not?
- Why did you decide to attend SUNY Oneonta?
- As a result of attending this school, what is the single most
important statement you would make about your experiences while
- What are your greatest strengths? Weaknesses?
- What do you think determines an individual's success in a work
- What personal characteristics do you think are necessary for success
in your chosen field?
- What qualifications do you have that make you feel you will be
successful in your chosen field?
- How do you determine success?
- Do you consider yourself a leader or a follower? Why?
- Do you prefer working with others or by yourself? Why?
- Define cooperation.
- How do you handle pressure? Give me an example.
- What jobs have you held? How were they obtained? What did you like
about the jobs? Dislike? Why?
- Why are you interested in my organization? What position would you
like to have? Why?
- What are your short-term goals? Long-range goals?
- What are two or three things that are most important to you in a job?
- What major problem have you encountered and how did you deal with it?
- What did you consider to be your most significant accomplishment? Why?
- What will be the most difficult aspect of making the transition from
college to your career? Why?
- Are you willing to relocate? To travel? If so, what percentage of the
time would you consider traveling? If you are willing to relocate, do
you have a geographical preference?
- What do you expect from an employer?
- Describe the relationship that should exist between a supervisor and
- What kind of work environment do you prefer?
- What do you know about this organization?
- If you were hiring a graduate for the position for which you are
applying, what qualities would you look for in the candidate?
- Why should we hire you?