As has already been pointed out, employers will ask numerous questions
during the interview, usually with a special purpose in mind. The manner
in which you respond, and the thought given to the response, will enter
into the final decision to invite you for a follow-up interview or send
you a rejection letter. It will be worth your time and effort to review
the following questions. They are examples of the type of questions you
may find yourself having to answer.
- Tell me about yourself.
- In what college and/or community activities have you participated?
- If you have not been active on campus, why not?
- Have you held any leadership responsibilities? If so, what were they
and what did you learn from this experience? If you didn't hold any
leadership responsibilities, why not?
- Why did you choose your particular college major? If you were starting
all over, would you choose the same one? If so, why? If not, why not?
- In looking at your academic program, which classes did you enjoy the
most? The least? Why?
- Do you feel you have done the best scholastic work of which you are
capable? If so, why? If not, why not?
- Why did you decide to attend SUNY Oneonta?
- As a result of attending this school, what is the single most
important statement you would make about your experiences while
- What are your greatest strengths? Weaknesses?
- What do you think determines an individual's success in a work
- What personal characteristics do you think are necessary for success
in your chosen field?
- What qualifications do you have that make you feel you will be
successful in your chosen field?
- How do you determine success?
- Do you consider yourself a leader or a follower? Why?
- Do you prefer working with others or by yourself? Why?
- Define cooperation.
- How do you handle pressure? Give me an example.
- What jobs have you held? How were they obtained? What did you like
about the jobs? Dislike? Why?
- Why are you interested in my organization? What position would you
like to have? Why?
- What are your short-term goals? Long-range goals?
- What are two or three things that are most important to you in a job?
- What major problem have you encountered and how did you deal with it?
- What did you consider to be your most significant accomplishment? Why?
- What will be the most difficult aspect of making the transition from
college to your career? Why?
- Are you willing to relocate? To travel? If so, what percentage of the
time would you consider traveling? If you are willing to relocate, do
you have a geographical preference?
- What do you expect from an employer?
- Describe the relationship that should exist between a supervisor and
- What kind of work environment do you prefer?
- What do you know about this organization?
- If you were hiring a graduate for the position for which you are
applying, what qualities would you look for in the candidate?
- Why should we hire you?