Letters of Reference
- It is the candidate’s responsibility to solicit letters of reference from college faculty/staff, previous employers, internship or student teaching supervisors and/or cooperating agents, and character references. Candidates are encouraged to select references carefully and according to their relevance and intended career goals. It is not required to select certain individuals (e.g. student teaching supervisors) to write references. However, potential employers may expect to see these references and ask about them if they are missing.
- Please encourage your letter writers to use official business letter head when writing and uploading letters of reference. Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, candidates have the right to review references or waive this right on the reference form. However, this choice needs to be checked on the form prior to soliciting references. Confidential material will NOT be disclosed in any form to registrants. The credential folder will never be mailed directly to candidates, under any circumstances, as it would directly violate your waiver statement.
- The CDC recommends each candidate have two to five references in their file. If more than five references are maintained in the file, candidates need to designate which five references are to be included for each request.
- Alumni are encouraged to review the contents of their folder carefully to eliminate outdated references and add current material.
- Confidential letters of reference will not be released to the registrant under any circumstances. All placement folders will be mailed directly from this office to any employer/graduate school upon written request.
Confidential letters of reference will not be released to you/students/alumni under any circumstances. All placement folders will be mailed directly from this office to any employer/graduate school upon written request.
Please follow these links to establish your credential folder:
Starting a Credential Folder
Requesting Letters of Recommendation for Your Credential Folder
Placing Credential Folder Orders (Sending out Your Credential Folder)
For those of you who would like these instructions as a PDF file, please click here
The State University College at Oneonta does not discriminate on the
basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital
status, sexual orientation or status as a Vietnam era veteran, in
admissions, employment, and treatment of students and employees.
All questions concerning these policies and allegations of
non-compliance should be directed to: Affirmative Action Officer,
Administration Building, SUNY Oneonta, Oneonta, New York 13820-4015.