SUNY Oneonta

NACElink for Students Logo

Focus 2 link

interview stream

Career Development Center

110 Netzer Admin. Building
SUNY College at Oneonta
Oneonta, NY 13820
(607) 436-2534

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm


Employment Services


Part-time Job Opportunities

For students interested in working while attending classes, here are some options:

On-Campus Student Temporary Service

Many on campus employers advertise part-time employment opportunities which we post on DragonLink. The instructions regarding how to apply for the positions are clearly defined in the "how to apply" section after clicking on a position of interest. On-campus positions fill quickly therefore it is crucial to be proactive.

Freshman and Transfer students will receive a DragonLink welcome message with a password and instructions by the first day of the Fall semester. Please email or call the Career Development Center at 607-436-2534 with any questions at that time.

All temporary work students are required to complete employment paperwork each new academic year which starts at the end of August. The employment paperwork is completed at the Career Development Center once the student is hired by an on-campus department.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

This is a need based program and interested students should meet with their Financial Aid Advisor to verify eligibility and to complete requirements for Federal Work Study. All students who have FWS as part of their award package MUST complete online training each year. Students preference request forms will be electronically completed at the end of the mandatory training. Training instructions are emailed to all eligible students after Financial Aid packages are constructed. FWS assignments are made on a first-come first-served basis, therefore students should complete the training requirement immediately after they receive their electronic FWS training instructions. Assignments are made through the Financial Aid Office and are based on students' preference requests and employment needs of on-campus departments and local organizations participating in the FWS program. In order to see their assignments students need to log in to WebServices. For further information please refer to the Federal Work Study Guide and contact the Office of Financial Aid at (607) 436-2532

Off-Campus Part-Time Job Opportunities:

We receive job vacancies from off campus employers throughout the academic year. Students looking to work off campus may view job postings on DragonLink. The majority of all off-campus positions are located within walking distance or the local bus routes.


To Apply for On and Off-Campus Part-Time Jobs:

To obtain part-time employment information please login to DragonLink.

DragonLink Logo

Username: SUNY Oneonta Email Address
NOTE: Your email address is pre-populated. If you are a current student and have not received a DragonLink welcome message containing your password, please click on forgot password and you will be able reset your password.
Password: Provided

Problems signing in? Please email .

Once registered, click on the Jobs and Internships tab followed by Jobs and Internships for SUNY Oneonta students and Alumni. All of the part-time on and off campus positions can be found here, including the full description and how to apply.



Student Employment Paperwork


1) NEW Student employees will need to present original documents that establish both identity and employment authorization. Please refer to the list of acceptable documents below. Student employees must bring original documents IN PERSON to the Career Development Center before being allowed to work. Expired documents are NOT accepted.

Documents that establish both identity and employment eligibility: US Passport or U.S. Passport Card, Permanent Residency Card.

Documents that establish identity only: Official Photo ID (e.g., college ID, driver's permit, driver's license, enhanced driver's license, Voter's registration Card, U.S. Military card or draft record.)

Documents that establish employment authorization only: Social Security Card, Birth Certificate, Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security.

For a complete list of documents please refer to the List of Acceptable Documents provided by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.



Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form Print I-9 Form and complete Section 1 - Employee Information and Attestation - where the student employee signs and dates the form. Section 2 - Employer or Authorized Representative Review and Verification - will be completed by Career Development Center staff. The Form I-9 is required to be completed only once during a student's attendance at SUNY Oneonta for FWS and/or Student Temporary Service employment. 

2) ALL student employees will need to complete the following forms and bring them to the Career Development Center. Permanent Home Address must be used on ALL forms.

Form W-4 Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate for Federal Tax - Print and complete numbers 1, 2, 3, 5 , employee signature and date. This form will need to be completed each academic year AND for each payroll type.

Form IT-2104 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate for NYS Tax - Print and complete top of form including Name, Address, SSN, Marital Status, item #1, and employee signature and date. This form will need to be completed each academic year AND for each payroll type.

If applicable, Form IT-2104-E Certificate of Exemption from Withholding- Print and complete top portion of page as instructed. This form is only for students who claim to be exempt from tax withholdings.

Retirement Election Form for NEW Student Employees - Print both pages.  Read page 1 in its entirety.  Complete page 2 and return it to the Career Development Center.

Retirement Election Form for RETURNING Student Employees - Returning students need to complete this form if: 1) they previously declined participation in the New York State Employees Retirement System (ERS) and now wish to join ERS; or 2) they previously declined participation, but have since joined ERS while working for another New York State employer. Print both pages.  Read page 1 in its entirety.  Complete page 2 and return it to Career Development Center.

Student Appointment Vita Form for New Student Employees - Print and complete all sections of the form. This form will need to be completed for each payroll type, i.e. FWS and Temporary Service.


DIRECT DEPOSIT: Paychecks can be picked up at the Payroll Office, Netzer Administration Building, Room 214. Direct Deposit is also available. Employees may enroll by completing a Direct Deposit form found on the Payroll website.

For more information about the above or any of the programs and services offered through the Career Development Center, contact the Center in 110 Netzer Administration Building, phone (607) 436-2534, e-mail:



On-Campus Employers

Student employees play a vital role in the operation of day to day activities here at SUNY Oneonta. Last year nearly 1,500 students were employed on campus. Students can be hired through temporary service or through the Federal Work-Study Program.

On-Campus employers are strongly encouraged to post part-time opportunities through Student Employment Services. Please complete and submit a Student Employment Service Form and return it to the Career Development Center. All positions are posted within twenty-four hours for students to view through DragonLink.

On campus departments interested in participating in Federal Work Study Program are required to complete the Job Description Form .The description of job duties, expected qualifications, work schedule and type of supervision will assist in the placement process of students who qualify for Federal Work Study. Job Description Forms can be submited to Student Employment Services at 110 Netzer Administration Building, or by FAX: (607) 436-2094.


SAVE THE DATE: Important Date Image
2015 Student Employee Appreciation Day: April 8th, 2015.
A week to honor student employees for all of their hard work and dedication.
Note: Departmental funding is not to be used for purchasing student gifts. For low cost celebratory ideas please contact the Career Development Center.

IRC Poster SEAD 2011Jazzmans Student Employment Appreciation Day Outdoor SignCDC SEAD 2010

FOR INFORMATION CONTACT: Anna Legname, Student Employment Coordinator at (607) 436-2534, or you may email us at


Off-Campus Employers

GOALS:Many college students look for part-time employment while attending college. Our goal is to provide our students with the opportunity to obtain part-time jobs to help pay bills and learn transferable work related skills.

PART-TIME VACANCY POSTING: We post the job opening on DragonLink for students to view. DragonLink is a national recruiting network of web based recruiting and career service tools. The part-time positions listed through DragonLink specifically target SUNY Oneonta enrolled students. If the students are interested they will contact you to apply. The employer has complete control at all times over whom they want to hire. When the position is filled email or call our office and we will remove the listing. For statistical purposes we also ask that you inform our office if you hired SUNY Oneonta students, or you can complete the monthly hire report form and return it by US mail or email at your earliest convenience . That’s all there is to it! And of course, please feel free to use our service as many times as you need to.


HOW TO POST A JOB: Complete, mail or fax the forms to Career Development Center, 110 Netzer Admin. Building, SUNY Oneonta, Oneonta, NY 13820, fax (607) 436-2094. We can also take your information by phone (607) 436-2534.

Student Employment Service Form

Also, we will be glad to take employment information over the phone.

FEDERAL WORK STUDY: The goal of Federal Work Study Program is to provide eligible students with an opportunity to work, learn new skills and earn wages during the school year to assist with educational costs. Federal Work Study provides the opportunity to experience the world of work while attending college. From the employer perspective, the FWS program eliminates the cost of wages for your department, however...the cost to the employer is time, training, and providing a good experience to each student participantating in the program, as well as certain administrative duties.

To participate in the Federal Work Study Program as an employer, there are two required forms: The Job Description Form and the Off- Campus Agreement Contract. FOR INFORMATION CONTACT: Anna Legname, Student Employment Coordinator at (607) 436-2534, or you may email

Thank you for your interest and supporting SUNY Oneonta students!