Top 10 Reasons to Do an Internship:
1) "Test drive" a career field with little risk.
2) Apply what you've learned in the classroom to the "real world."
3) Earn money! In some internships, you may receive compensation for the hours you work.
4) Gain experience that you can highlight when interviewing for jobs after graduation.
5) Get a headstart on updating your resume and writing a cover letter.
6) Practice your interviewing skills.
7) Enhance the "related experience" section of your resume.
8) Make valuable contacts in your field.
9) Land a job! In 2013, 56.5 percent of interns were offered full-time employment (as reported from the NACE Internship and Co-op Survey).
10) Increase your chances of keeping your first job. Employers reported a 72.9 percent retention rate of interns five years post-internship (NACE Internship and Co-op Survey).