Choosing a Major or Career
Not all careers require a specific major. First, pick the career field that YOU want. Then, look at what majors fit best the career and you can do well in academically.
- Michael Jordan (Basketball player) was a Geography major
- Jon Stewart (Comedian) was a Psychology major
- Lisa Kudrow (Actress) was a Biology major
- Arnold Schwarzenneger (Film Star, California's Governor and former Mr. Universe ) was a Business major
10 Things You Can Do NOW If You’re Still Undecided About Your Major
1. Spend some time thinking about and exploring your interests, likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses, etc. Make lists for yourself.
When making career decisions, remember:
2. Take a career inventory, such as DISCOVER or the Holland Self-Directed Search, to help you explore your interests, abilities, values and experiences in greater depth. (Contact the Career Development Center for details.)
3. Think about classes you’ve liked and disliked, and ask yourself, “Why?”
4. Thing about jobs you’ve liked and disliked, and ask yourself, “Why?”
5. Find out more about different majors and their required classes. Take classes in potential areas of interest.
6. Talk to professors, your advisor, etc. about areas of interest.
7. Consult the references available in the Career Library (located across from 110 Netzer) to gain information on careers of interest to you.
8. Try to find part-time jobs, internships, and/or volunteer experiences in areas of interest. Trying a job on is the best way to see if it fits!
9. Locate professionals who work in careers you’re interested in learning more about, and talk to them about what they do. (For more information about informational interviewing, contact the Career Development Center.)
10. Keep a record of all of your findings, so that you can have information pertinent to career decisions readily available.
- Decision-making is a PROCESS; it takes time and thought.
- It is perfectly normal to be undecided and/ or to change your mind when making decisions about your career and major.
- Don’t rely on luck to find the right career or job for you!
If you need help getting an idea of some careers that match well with your major, click on What Can I Do With A Major In.... OR Choosing a College Major