SUNY Oneonta strives to enroll an academically well qualified and culturally diverse student body. Students who began their studies at Oneonta as transfers comprise approximately 40% of our full-time enrollment.

All applications are individually reviewed based on a variety of criteria, including:

  • a competitive and challenging academic program with courses related to your intended major;
  • a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or greater is preferred for most majors. Education majors must have a GPA of 3.0 or greater.

Applicants can view their checklist of documents that the Office of Admissions has received for their application by going to their VIP page. Please allow 7-10 business days for items to appear on your checklist if items were mailed directly to SUNY Oneonta.

Required Materials

SUNY Application

Common Application

Official College transcripts from all institutions attended

Official College transcripts from all institutions attended

Official Final High School Transcript or GED Score Report

Official Final High School Transcript or GED Score Report

** NO Supplemental Application is required for Transfer Students as of Spring 2014**

SUNY Oneonta uses email as its official method of communication and all important updates will be shared via email. In order to assure that students receive all communication regarding their application, please make sure to check your email regularly.

In some cases, mid-term grades may be requested when a student has earned less than 24 college credits, is academically borderline, or is in their first semester at a new institution. Mid-Term grades can be mailed or faxed using the Mid-Term Grade Report Form, or a mid-term grade report or web grades provided by your institution if actual letter grades are provided; we cannot accept P/F for Pass/Fail or S/U for Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory.

Any interruption in education attendance since high school graduation must be specified by sending an email to your admissions counselor explaining the gap in your educational attendance.

Candidates must request that official transcripts be sent to the SUNY Oneonta Office of Admissions from the registrar at each institution previously attended regardless of the number of credits or whether the coursework was successfully completed.

Transfer students must declare a major. Please select your SUNY Oneonta major on the Common Application OR SUNY Application.

Any candidate who was academically dismissed or suspended from a college is required to show academic success at another institution for at least one year of full-time study.

MUSIC: Beginning Fall 2014 all students wishing to declare a music major are required to schedule and successfully pass an audition with the Music Department. Students will receive additional information at the time of application. The Admissions Office will review all applicants for academic preparation. Students found admissible will be admitted, but the major will not be finalized until the audition process is completed. All auditions are coordinated through the Music Department.

Transfer Credits | Credit Earned in High School | Transfer Credit Reevaluation Process
Course Equivalency Tool


Upon acceptance students will be emailed when your DegreeWorks (DW) Audit will be available and ready to view in Your DegreeWorks audit is based on the official transcript(s) sent from the college(s) attended and shows how your credits transfer and satisfy current SUNY Oneonta degree requirements. The official transcript must arrive at the Office of Admissions from the college in a sealed envelope. Photocopies and faxes will not be accepted.

If you accept your offer of admission, you must have a final official transcript(s) sent to the Office of Admissions. This transcript should:

  • include all coursework completed prior to enrolling at SUNY Oneonta
  • post any degree(s) received
  • have no incomplete or in-progress grades

It is important to get your final official transcript(s) to us as soon as possible. Without it, we cannot complete your file and we may not be able to admit you into certain programs. Your financial aid disbursement and course registration may also be affected.

Transfer Education Majors: If you do not send a final official transcript(s) showing a 3.0 cumulative GPA, you cannot declare Education as your major, and you cannot attend orientation as an Education major or register for education courses.

For more information, check out our Articulation Agreements with several two-year SUNY institutions, our Course Equivalency guide for all schools in the SUNY system and the SUNY Oneonta Course Catalog.

A maximum of 66 credits can be transferred from a two-year institution, and no more than 77 credits can be transferred from a four-year institution.

The General Education requirements at SUNY Oneonta will be fulfilled if a student completes any of the following degrees upon transferring:

  • Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree
  • Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from any SUNY institution
    Students who declare Childhood Education and Early Childhood/Childhood Education majors may have additional requirements to fulfill.

The Division of Economics & Business and the Division of Education have a statute of limitations on credits transferred into their programs. Contact the divisions for more information.


Many students receive college credit while in high school. These credits can come from Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), or college courses. To see how this credit will transfer, please view the Course Equivalency Tool

  • AP test scores of 3 or better are accepted.
  • To earn IB credit, students must receive a score of 4 or better on the Higher Level IB Exam. Scores of 4 or better on the Standard Level IB Exam receive credit only when an IB Diploma is also earned.
  • We accept only scores over the CLEP recommended score.
  • Students must earn a grade of C or better in an accredited college course(s) to receive credit.
  • Official transcripts/scores from agency/institutions are required.

Transfer Credit Reevaluation Process

Accepted students who have received a preliminary transfer credit evaluation from the Office of Admissions have the option to request a reevaluation of transfer credit for specific courses within their declared major and major-related coursework.

There are three reevaluation processes that cater to specific groups of students:

  • SUNY Oneonta’s Pre-Matriculated Student Reevaluation Process
    For any accepted student transferring from any institution who has not yet registered for coursework or attended orientation at SUNY Oneonta, requests are facilitated by the Office of Admissions.

    • Any accepted transfer student who has not started taking courses at SUNY Oneonta may complete and return this form by following the instructions at the top of the form. Students will need Adobe to fill in the PDF electronically, or they can print the form out, fill it in and then scan the completed form. Please email the completed form and a course syllabus for each course you wish to be reevaluated as a PDF or Word document attachment to Rebecca Lynch at
      If you are interested in transferring into our Education program, sample coursework such as papers, projects, and tests must be submitted electronically as an attachment in addition to the course syllabus.
      The Office of Admissions recommends that students use this process as a starting point for all transfer credit reevaluation requests, based on the comprehensive audience this process services.
  • SUNY Oneonta’s Post-Matriculated Student Reevaluation Process
    For any accepted student who has registered for courses or attended orientation at SUNY Oneonta, requests are facilitated by the Office of Academic Advisement.

  • SUNY Transfer Credit Appeal Process
    For accepted students transferring directly from a two-year Associate’s degree program at a SUNY campus, appeals are facilitated by the Office of the Registrar.

    • The SUNY transfer credit appeal process is designed for pre- or post-matriculated students transferring from a two-year SUNY Associate’s degree program into a SUNY four-year institution. If you have questions concerning the evaluation of your credit and/or whether or not you qualify for the SUNY appeal process, please contact a transfer counselor in the Office of Admissions.

    The Office of Admissions, in conjunction with the Registrar's Office and the Office of Academic Advisement, work on enhancing the transfer process to make it as smooth as possible for students and faculty members.