Sexism is discrimination based on gender. Sexism can exist on individual, group and societal beliefs and attitudes and can range from belief of gender stereotypes, the belief that one gender is inferior or hatred or disgust towards a particular gender.
Definitions Related to Sexism:
- Gender-refers to the socially constructed concepts of masculinity and femininity.
- Sex-one’s biological classification of male or female based on genetic and physical features.
- Transexual-refers to a person whose gender identity differs from their biological sex at birth.
- Misogyny-the hatred of women
- Misandry-the hatred of males
- Chauvinism-belief that one’s own group is superior over others
Learn About Sexism via Video -
Sexism, Strength & Dominance: Masculinity in Disney Films
Sexism Sells – But We’re Not Buying It
Sexism & Violence in Advertising
Sexism: Gender Stereotyping in the Media
Gender in the Media, Part 1
Gender in the Media, Part 2
Happily Ever After: Perpetuating Stereotypical Gender Ideals
Challenging Gender Roles & Categories