The following guidelines apply to all travel undertaken by SUNY Oneonta Research Foundation (RF) employees, as well as any faculty, staff or students funded by RF monies.
Travel being paid through a grant, contract or other sponsored program (including on-campus grant programs funded through the RF), follows federal and RF rules and regulations. In general, travel costs are allowable when they are directly attributable to specific work on a sponsored project, including projects funded by on-campus grant programs through the RF. Travel should be by the most efficient and cost-effective method of transportation available and should be scheduled effectively to minimize expenses whenever possible. Staff traveling to the same event should travel together to minimize mileage and gas cost.
Before the Trip
- Travel expenses that include airfare or lodging should be encumbered before the trip through use of the Travel Authorization Form .
- Lodging over established per diem rates requires a written justification submitted with the Travel Authorization Form prior to travel.
- Tutors and recruiters do not need to encumber travel ahead of time for tutoring and recruiting activities, and should submit mileage traveled with their timesheets.
After the Trip
- Travel expenses should be submitted for payment within two weeks of return from trip on the Travel Payment Request Form and must be submitted prior to the end of the grant year.
- Original passenger receipts and boarding passes must be submitted when required.
- All car rentals require a written justification with the exception of cars rented from Enterprise in the State of New York under the State Contract.
Grant funding cannot be applied to expenses incurred for a trip that did not occur. Employees can be held personally responsible for expenses/costs incurred for cancelled reservations. A determiniation will be made based on the reason for the cancellation and will be made in consultation with the employee's supervisor.
- Airfare for employees can usually be applied to another trip for the same employee with a chnage fee - consult airline policies for allowable exchange period and fee amount.
- Airfare for non-employees should always be purchased as a refundable ticket.
- Cancellation of hotel and car rental reservations do not incur charges, if advance notice if provided.
Business Telephone Calls
Telephone calls are appropriately documented by listing the name of the party called, place called, date of call and reason for call. Faxes are documented by listing the date, purpose, fax number to which the document was sent, recipient, and number of pages for each facsimile. If available, receipts should be attached.
Tax Exempt Status
When traveling within New York State (including NYC), travelers should use the Exempt Organization Certificate. This form should be used to claim exemption from hotel room tax anywhere within the state.
Tax exemption is also available for Research Foundation business in the States of Florida, New Jersey and Tennessee. These forms are available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or at x2473.
Transportation expenses over $75 require receipts. Examples include ground transportation such as taxi or shuttle expenses, parking and tolls.
Travel expenses must be documented with a RF Travel Authorization Form (prior to travel) and with a RF Travel Payment Request Form (upon return from a trip). Travelers should not use SUNY travel forms.
Helpful Hints in Completing and Submitting Forms:
- Account numbers must be included where indicated on travel forms.
- Supervisor's signature is required on all travel forms where indicated.
- Conference brochures or meeting agendas must be attached to Travel Payment Requests.
- Flight or train ticket stubs must be attached to Travel Payment Requests.
- Original lodging receipts are necessary when claiming per diem.
- Dates and times of departure and return must be completed as indicated on travel forms.
- Home Address, including zip code is a must.
In general, RF travel policy takes precedence over a sponsor's regulation unless the sponsor's regulations are more restrictive or the sponsor has set forth explicit, less restrictive requirements in the RF-approved award document.
Research Foundation Travel Manual