Copyright © 2014 by SUNY Oneonta
- 108 Ravine Parkway
- Oneonta, NY 13820
1. Incomplete grades may be assigned only on request by the student and only under the following conditions:
· A majority of the course work has been completed
· Completion was not possible due to circumstances beyond the student’s control
· Course work can be completed without additional faculty instruction.
2. Faculty may not assign an incomplete in circumstances where the student’s performance to date clearly indicates an inability to pass the course as originally structured in the syllabus. Faculty may not assign an incomplete grade in place of a failing grade or because the student stopped attending class.
An example of acceptable circumstances would be a student who missed the final exam or final paper because of an illness or family emergency that can be documented.
3. Faculty may not assign an incomplete grade without the student’s knowledge.
4. An understanding of the remaining course requirements and the deadline for completion of them must be established between the student and faculty member prior to assigning the incomplete.
5. Faculty must complete an Incomplete Agreement Form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office at the same time end-of-term grades are submitted. This form is available in the Registrar's Office (130 Netzer) or from the department secretary.
6. Students must not re-register for or sit in the course in order to complete the course work.
7. Deadlines for completing incompletes are determined by the course instructor. However, they must be within College designated deadlines noted below.
· For incompletes received in Spring or Summer terms, the deadline for completion is the last week of November unless course instructor determines an earlier date.
· For incompletes received in Fall terms, the deadline for completion is the last week in April unless course instructor determines an earlier date.
Specific dates are posted in Key Dates and Deadlines distributed each semester to faculty and students. They are also available on the Registrar’s web page: http://www.oneonta.edu/admin/registrar/default.asp under the appropriate semester link on the left.
8. Extension of the deadline beyond the College designated one should not be necessary. However, under extreme circumstances, a student may submit a Petition for Extension of Incomplete form. The petition must state reasons for the request, and contain documentation supporting the request. The student submits the petition to the course instructor (instructor approval is mandatory for petition to go forward) and his/her advisor for signature indicating support of the request. The petition is then submitted to the division dean for final approval. The completed form is then submitted to the Registrar for recording. The deadline for filing approved form to the Registrar is the same as the College deadline for completion of incompletes.
9. At the beginning of each semester, the Registrar will send notification of outstanding incompletes to students and their instructors, indicating specific deadlines and any approved extension dates.
10 Any incomplete grades not resolved by the College deadline via incomplete extension date or grade change form will be converted to failing grades. These failing grades will not be changed back to incomplete grades, so both faculty and students must be attentive to these deadlines.
11. Incomplete grades may not be changed to “W” grades at a later date.
12. Degrees will not be awarded to students who have Incomplete grades. The student must opt to change the Incomplete to an E/F or complete the course work and reapply for the degree during the semester in which the course requirements are completed.