International students (non-US residents or citizens) must submit the application form and required supporting documents by the deadline in order to be considered for admission. International students with any questions related to admissions must contact the Office of International Education (OIE). Contact us

The Application Form

There are three ways to apply! You must complete and submit one of the following applications. You only need to complete one of them. If you use the SUNY Online or The Common Online Application, then you must also complete the OIE Supplemental Application and send it to the SUNY Oneonta Office of International Education.

The SUNY Application
Must also submit OIE Supplemental Application (PDF) to the OIE Office
*SUNY waives the application fee for students who are applying to SUNY Oneonta who will have earned their associates degree and are transferring directly prior to transferring.

The Common Application
Must also submit OIE Supplemental Application (PDF) to the OIE Office

OIE International Student Application (PDF)
For students who are unable to apply online. Please send it to the OIE Office.


Instructions: The purpose of this essay is to become acquainted with you as a prospective student and to evaluate your ability in organizing your thoughts and expressing yourself clearly.

Write a well-written, reflective essay that describes your academic strengths, interests, and values which will contribute to our diverse campus community. Explain why you chose SUNY College at Oneonta and your intended program of study. Discuss the personal and professional enrichment you expect to gain from studying in the United States.

The essay must be in English, with a word processor, double-spaced, and approximately 500 words with your name printed clearly at the bottom of the document with your original signature at the bottom of the essay and date.

Letters of Recommendation

We require at least one letter of recommendation that should be completed by your guidance counselor, an academic instructor, or honor society counselor. 

Official Transcript

An official transcript is a copy of a student’s permanent academic record including the courses you have completed and the marks that you received. If your school system does not provide transcripts, a certified record of the courses you took, such as Government Examination certificates (such as GCSE-“O” Level, IGCSE, “A” Level) from your home country, must be submitted.

For Entering Freshman: If you graduated, or are about to graduate, from a secondary/high school, and have never matriculated/attended any colleges, then you will be considered a freshman. You must submit official secondary/high school transcript(s)—in the original language and in a translated English version.

For Transfer Students: If you were admitted and attended a college (inside or outside of the USA), you will be considered a transfer student. You must submit your official college transcript from that college. If you attended more than one college, you must submit official transcripts from all colleges attended.

  • Foreign Course Evaluation: Courses taken at a college outside of the USA must be evaluated by a NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) certified member such as WES (World Education Services), and the evaluation reports must be mailed directly to the SUNY Oneonta OIE Office. Choose the course-by course Report (With GPA & Course-Levels) at

  • High School Transcript: You must also submit your high school transcript in both original language and a translated English version if you have less than 24 college credits.

If you have taken courses from one of the following partner colleges/universities, you can find out which courses can be transferred, equivalent to SUNY Oneonta courses.

Highline Comm.College
Japan Partners
Korea HUFS 1+3
Seattle Comm. College Partners
Siberian St. Aerospace University

Standardized Tests and English Language Proficiency Requirement (Choose One Only)

  • SAT 1130 Scores (Critical Reading & Math) or ACT Composite of 25.
    Enclose a copy of SAT or ACT score report with application. Send original score report to SUNY Oneonta. Institution Code 2542 for SAT, Code 2940 for ACT
  • TOEFL (The Test of English as a Foreign Language) iBT (Internet-based Test) scores of 61 or PBT (Paper-based Test) 500 required, 79/550 or higher strongly recommended.
    Enclose a copy of TOEFL score report with application. Send original TOEFL report to SUNY Oneonta. Institution Code 2542.
  • IELTS Bandwidth Scores of 6.5 or higher (no sub-score below 6.0)
    Enclose a copy of IELTS score report with application. Send original IELTS report to SUNY Oneonta. Institution Code 902.
  • ELS (English Language Services) Language Centers -112 Level
    Enclose copy of your ELS Certificate with application or upon completion of ELS program.

Conditional Acceptance:Students with scores under the minimum English proficiency may be eligible for conditional acceptance and may be subject to English as a Second Language (ESL) coursework at SUNY Oneonta.

Exemptions: Students transferring from an accredited college within the USA with an AA or AS or higher degree, or two semesters of successful academic coursework in general education and/or major courses in humanities, social science, education, business, and science, do not need to submit above score reports.

Financial Documentation

U.S. immigration requires evidence of sufficient funds for the duration of an international student’s academic program. Original financial/bank statements indicating sufficient funds are required to support one’s education at SUNY Oneonta for a period of at least one year. Bank statement amounts should total no less than $30,000 USD. Financial documentation must be in English and must be in United States Dollars (USD) or show applicable conversion rate. Choose the appropriate document(s) for your situation—you do not need to send it all.

Example –Sources of Funding

Required Documentation

Evidence of Sufficient Funds Required

Personal Savings

Certified Bank Letter/Bank Statement-Original

Minimum $30,000 USD

Parent/Sponsor Savings

Certified Bank Letter/Bank Statement-Original

Minimum $30,000 USD

Financial Support Form

SUNY International Student Financial Statement Form or
I-134 Affidavit of Support Form

Minimum $30,000 USD

Passport and VISA

  • A copy of valid passport from home country is required (photo page only)
  • A copy of valid student visa (photo page only and Transfer-in Form are required if you are currently studying in the US).

The Office of International Education (OIE) must receive the above items by the fall and spring deadlines as part of application review process. 

Application Deadline

  • For fall semester admission: May 14th
  • For spring semester admission: November 16th

Students are encouraged to apply early.

Financial Assistance and Scholarship for International Students

Matriculated students who successfully maintain their status can apply for on campus jobs. SUNY Oneonta OIE offers limited scholarships to highly qualified students, both freshman and transfer, based on academic merit, campus and community involvement, and/or financial need. Students must meet the Scholarship criteria and apply early in order to be considered for scholarships.

Acceptance Decision

After receiving the complete application and required supporting documents, the Office of International Education (OIE) will review them and make a decision. If you submit the complete application and do not hear from us after two weeks, please Contact us. If accepted, you will receive an acceptance notice via e-mail and the username and password will be sent to you, which will allow you to access your Oneonta account including Oneonta e-mail.


Untitled Document


Academic Degree Programs

Degree Program Codes

General Education Requirements


Academic Calendar

Transfer-in Form

In Our Student's Words


Mentor Program