Once you have been accepted to a study abroad or exchange program, there are several important steps that you should complete before you depart for your program. These steps include:
- Notify the SUNY Oneonta Study Abroad Coordinator that you have been accepted to a program.
- Complete and submit any supplemental application materials that are required by the program’s administering campus and host institution, if applicable.
- If you were accepted to a SUNY program, you will need to complete and submit a SUNY Oneonta Preliminary Overseas Course Approval Form. This form is available in the Office of International Education.
If you were accepted to a non-SUNY program (including community college programs), you will need to complete and submit Academic Leave of Absence and Prior Approval for Transfer Credit Forms. These forms are available in the Academic Advisement Center and can also be downloaded on the Academic Advisement Center website.
- Finalize your financial arrangements. If you are eligible for financial aid, you will need to complete a Financial Arrangement Form with Financial Aid and Student Accounts. This form is available in the Office of International Education. If you will be going on a non-SUNY program, you will also need to complete a Consortium Agreement with Financial Aid.
- Apply for a passport, if you don’t already have one. If you have a passport, check its expiration date to make sure that it will be valid for six months after your return date. If not, renew your passport right away. View information about how to renew your passport.
Find out if you will need any travel documents (e.g. visas or residence permits) in addition to a passport before you depart. Travel document requirements vary depending on the study abroad program length and citizenship of students. To review travel information specific to your study abroad destination, including visa requirements, check the U.S. Department of State website, as well as the website of the country’s embassy or consulate nearest you (many consulates are in New York City). The study abroad office of the campus that administers your program should be consulted about the required travel documents for your program.
- Participate in the mandatory pre-departure orientation required by the administering campus. You may review the information covered during the pre-departure orientation for SUNY Oneonta programs here (see attached file).
- Review travel health and safety information specific to your study abroad destination on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website and the U.S. Department of State website. We strongly recommend that you enroll in the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive travel updates and make it easier for the U.S. Department of State to contact you and your family in the event of an emergency.
Have a great experience studying abroad! We hope that you will share your experience with us when you return!