Travel Document

Untitled Document

How to Apply

Oneonta Programs

Other SUNY Programs

Funding Study Abroad

Travel Documents


Health Insurance

Photo Contest


One of the first steps in starting your journey toward studying abroad is acquiring a U.S. Passport. The Office of International Education encourages students to get a passport in their freshman year to prevent processing delays when eligible for going abroad.

Obtaining a U.S. Passport


    • Early preparation for studying abroad or traveling to Canada. Passports are also another form of ID.


  • Passport Application Form DS-11

    • Available at International Education Office or U.S. Post Office

  • Evidence of U.S. Citizenship – Provide one of the following:

    • Previous valid U.S. Passport
    • Certified U.S. Birth Certificate
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship

  • Proof of Identity – Provide one of the following:

    • Recently issued Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship with easily recognizable photo
    • Current, valid driver’s license
    • Government employee ID
    • Military ID

  • Two Identical Passport Photos

    • 2x2 inches in size
    • Clear likeness, taken within the past 6 months
    • Color required, full-face, front view on a white or off-white background
    • Normal street attire; no hats or headgear
    • Oneonta Post office has photo services for an additional $15

  • Where to Get a Passport Photo in Oneonta:

    • Rite Aide
      94 Chestnut St.
      Tel: (607) 432-7640
    • AAA Tri County Motor Club
      195 Oneida St.
      Tel: (607) 432-4512
    • U.S. Post Office
      352 Main St.
      Tel: (607) 432-6100
    • Wal-Mart
      Tel: (607) 433-1957

  • Passport Fees:

    • Currently, $110.00, subject to change.
    • The Postal Service collects an additional fee of $25, payable by cash, check, money order, credit or debit card
    • See for updates
    • Check or money order is accepted

  • Passport Locations:

  • OIE suggests that you call ahead of time to make an appointment at the Oneonta Post Office at (607)-432-6100

Will You Need Additional Travel Documents?

Once you have been accepted to a study abroad program, obtain any travel documents that are required in addition to a passport (e.g. visas or residence permits) before you depart. Travel document requirements vary depending on the study abroad program length and citizenship of students. To review travel information specific to your study abroad destination, including visa requirements, check the U.S. Department of State website, as well as the website of the country’s embassy or consulate nearest you (many consulates are in New York City). The study abroad office of the campus that administers your program should be consulted about the required travel documents for your program