Environmental Education Intern
Otsego County Conservation Association is seeking an Environmental Education Intern for the summer of 2016. The Environmental Education Intern will assist in a broad range of tasks supporting OCCA in its mission of protecting, preserving and enhancing the natural environment, with a specific emphasis on public education. Some weekend work is required mid-May through mid-August.
Qualifications: Applicant must have a valid NYS driver’s license, excellent verbal and written skills, and experience handling canoes and leading groups in outdoor activities. Ability to work unsupervised. Reliable form of transportation required.
Apply via website, http://occainfo.org/environmental-education-internship/, or send a cover and resume to Jeff O’Handley, Program Director, Otsego County Conservation Association, PO Box 931, Cooperstown, NY 13326, or via e-mail to email@example.com.
For a full description of the internship please click here.
GoEco invites students and faculty to participate in their geography and environmental internships and volunteer projects abroad!
Costa Rica is one of the world's most popular eco-tourism destinations, primarily because of its incredible biodiversity. Join the country's sea turtle conservation efforts and monitor nesting activity or participate in a specific environmental project in the community. Learn more here.
Visit one of the most breathtaking places in the country! If you're interested in sustainable living and the great outdoors, you'll enjoy the internship tasks in the heart of this rustic outback! Read more here.
Join the effort to protect one of Mother Nature's greatest gifts - the Great Barrier Reef. Receive your Open Water Diver (OWD) certification and learn about turtle conservation at a rehabilitation center. More information here.
The Career Development Center is now accepting applications for the Helen & Michael Casper Fellowship for internship support for spring 2016. This fellowship is open to all students and the goal is to provide a meaningful difference for students who wish to participate in internship opportunities.
Created through charitable gifts by 1975 SUNY Oneonta graduate Andrea Casper in honor and memory of her parents, the Helen & Michael Casper Fellowship for Internship Support is intended to help make internship experiences accessible for more SUNY Oneonta students.
For more information click here.
The NYS DOS Office of Planning and Development is looking for a GIS intern to work on a Statewide Shoreline Characterization project. Posting details and link below in case anyone is interested or knows anyone who may fit the bill.
The Office of Planning and Development increases resilience and sustainable growth of New York communities by advancing progressive land use solutions and community-based development. This is accomplished through partnerships with community-based organizations, academia, governments including development, natural resource and social service agencies and other stakeholders.
STATEWIDE SHORELINE CHARACTERIZATION
(This project supports DOS in analyzing, synthesizing, and standardizing data and information critical to development of community risk assessments and resilience plans)
- Assess existing regional shoreline characterization inventories for New York’s Great Lakes, Hudson River and the maritime coast (NOAA’s Environmental Sensitivity Index - ESI) to determine feasibility of combining inventories into one standard comprehensive statewide GIS coverage.
- Identify least common denominator of attribute fields across the disparate shoreline inventories.
- Synthesize shoreline inventories into one statewide GIS coverage with attribute fields common to all inventories.
- Identify reaches of shoreline not covered by existing inventories.
- Acquire imagery or identify open source method necessary to fill in gaps in statewide shoreline characterization. Create data to complete the statewide shoreline characterization dataset.
- Prepare metadata for statewide shoreline characterization dataset.
- GIS – ability to create, manipulate, and analyze geospatial data; strong cartography skills; knowledge of metadata standards and ability to generate FGDC/ISO compliant metadata; proficiency with ArcGIS products; ability to interpret aerial photography and remote sensing a plus.
- Research/analytical skills: Ability to gather data, research independently, coordinate with stakeholders to collect data, potential for field work, and possession of strong analytical skills.
- Advanced undergraduate or graduate student
- Relevant majors: environmental science, natural resources, geology, biology/ecology, geography, and other applied science fields
- Relevant coursework: Geomorphology (coastal landforms/processes emphasis a plus), physical geography, Geographic Information Systems, remote sensing, coastal management, ecology (wetland or coastal ecology a plus), geological processes
Brooklyn Borough Presidents Office
Cartography, Topography Analysis
Lower East Side Ecology Center
Biological Field Station
Unadilla River Pearly Mussel Survey
Otsego County Conservation Association (OCCA)
GIS and Research Coordinator for Sustainable Development in Cooperstown
Research Coordinator for Sustainable Development in Cooperstown
Otsego County Department of Planning and Solid Waste
County Planning and Solid Waste Intern
GIS Planning Coordinator
Intern County Planner
National Gas Drilling in Otsego Co.: It’s effects on Water Quality & Road Preservation
Otsego County IT (GIS) Department
Local Government GIS Applications
Otsego Lake Watershed
Water Quality Analysis
Otsego Soil & Water Conservation District
Conservation Projects – Hydro seeding/Water stream Sampling
Soil & Water Conservation Intern
Delaware County Department of Planning
Geographic Internship in County Planning
Town of Dryden Zoning Department
Geographic Internship in GIS
Dewitt Conservation Commission
Natural Resource Inventory
East Syracuse, NY
Continental Village Water District
Water Treatment in the Town of Cortland
Lake George Association
Environmental Education Intern
Lake George, NY
Airtek Environmental Corp.
Field work, sample collection, clerical work
Long Island City, NY
Student Conservation Association – Hudson Valley Corps.
New Paltz, NY
Chenango County Department of Planning and Development
Headwaters Youth Conservation Corps at The Place
Facilities Planning Office
SUNY Oneonta Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory
SUNY Oneonta, NY
Office of Campus Life
Public Relations Greek Internship
SUNY Oneonta, NY
Physical Education Department
GIS Maps of Area Trails for Biking & Hiking
SUNY Oneonta, NY
Oswego County Planning Department
GIS Specialist Intern
Environmental Assessment and Remediation Corporation
Department of Environmental Resources
NYSDEC Rogers Environmental and Educational Center
Naturalist Internship, Environmental Education
Hydro Environmental Solutions (HES)
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Environmental Conservation: Bald Eagle and Canadian Geese
Environmental Science & Planning Internship
Delaware County Soil and Water Conservation District
Database collection for agricultural program in the NYC Watershed
Suffolk County Environmental Stewardship
Piping Plover Recovery
West Sayville, NY
Dvirka and Bartilucci Consulting Engineers
Installation and servicing environmental remediation system
Suffolk County Public Works – Hwy Division – Hwy Design
Storm Water Management
Out of State
The Discovery Center
E Coli and Hypoxia Investigation
Big Hole National Battlefield
Internships in Environmental Sciences
Environmental Sciences students often fulfill their CAPSTONE EXPERIENCE requirement by doing an internship. Students need to follow the College's policy on internships, which can be found by following this link.
Each Department maintains files on internship opportunities. See the Department Chair for further information.
To give you an idea of the variety of internships that students have done, look through this list:
Soil & WaterConservation Districts (Otsego, Greene, Delaware counties)
National Parks (Sequoia National Forest)
Environmental consulting firms (Long Island Analytical Laboratories Inc)
Land trusts (Peconic Land Trust)