The NYS DOS Office of Planning and Development is looking for a GIS intern to work on a Statewide Shoreline Characterization project. Posting details and link below in case anyone is interested or knows anyone who may fit the bill.
The Office of Planning and Development increases resilience and sustainable growth of New York communities by advancing progressive land use solutions and community-based development. This is accomplished through partnerships with community-based organizations, academia, governments including development, natural resource and social service agencies and other stakeholders.
STATEWIDE SHORELINE CHARACTERIZATION
(This project supports DOS in analyzing, synthesizing, and standardizing data and information critical to development of community risk assessments and resilience plans)
- Assess existing regional shoreline characterization inventories for New York’s Great Lakes, Hudson River and the maritime coast (NOAA’s Environmental Sensitivity Index - ESI) to determine feasibility of combining inventories into one standard comprehensive statewide GIS coverage.
- Identify least common denominator of attribute fields across the disparate shoreline inventories.
- Synthesize shoreline inventories into one statewide GIS coverage with attribute fields common to all inventories.
- Identify reaches of shoreline not covered by existing inventories.
- Acquire imagery or identify open source method necessary to fill in gaps in statewide shoreline characterization. Create data to complete the statewide shoreline characterization dataset.
- Prepare metadata for statewide shoreline characterization dataset.
- GIS – ability to create, manipulate, and analyze geospatial data; strong cartography skills; knowledge of metadata standards and ability to generate FGDC/ISO compliant metadata; proficiency with ArcGIS products; ability to interpret aerial photography and remote sensing a plus.
- Research/analytical skills: Ability to gather data, research independently, coordinate with stakeholders to collect data, potential for field work, and possession of strong analytical skills.
- Advanced undergraduate or graduate student
- Relevant majors: environmental science, natural resources, geology, biology/ecology, geography, and other applied science fields
- Relevant coursework: Geomorphology (coastal landforms/processes emphasis a plus), physical geography, Geographic Information Systems, remote sensing, coastal management, ecology (wetland or coastal ecology a plus), geological processes
New York - Spring 2014
The Otsego County Conservation Association (OCCA) is pleased to announce an internship opportunity for its Environmental Planning Program. The position is approximately 8 hours per week for 15 weeks/spring semester and includes a $1,000.00 stipend. The ideal candidate will have basic knowledge of municipal land use planning in New York; experience with ArcGIS; strong writing skills; possess a willingness to learn, and have an appreciation for the Otsego County region. Duties include: hands-on tasks in support of deliverables related to town and village planning and/ or environmental projects and policies related to the protection of and education on the county’s unique resources; and the production of maps to support the Circuit Rider Planner Program and other OCCA initiatives. The intern will work in close cooperation with the Environmental Planner. The OCCA office is located in Springfield, NY. Work will be completed both on and off site.
Darla M. Youngs, Executive Director
Otsego County Conservation Association
Facilitator, Otsego County Water Quality Coordinating Committee
7193 State Highway 80, PO Box 931
Cooperstown, NY 13326
(607) 547-4488; (607) 282-4087
Like us on Facebook
Brooklyn Borough Presidents Office
Cartography, Topography Analysis
Lower East Side Ecology Center
Biological Field Station
Unadilla River Pearly Mussel Survey
Otsego County Conservation Association (OCCA)
GIS and Research Coordinator for Sustainable Development in Cooperstown
Research Coordinator for Sustainable Development in Cooperstown
Otsego County Department of Planning and Solid Waste
County Planning and Solid Waste Intern
GIS Planning Coordinator
Intern County Planner
National Gas Drilling in Otsego Co.: It’s effects on Water Quality & Road Preservation
Otsego County IT (GIS) Department
Local Government GIS Applications
Otsego Lake Watershed
Water Quality Analysis
Otsego Soil & Water Conservation District
Conservation Projects – Hydro seeding/Water stream Sampling
Soil & Water Conservation Intern
Delaware County Department of Planning
Geographic Internship in County Planning
Town of Dryden Zoning Department
Geographic Internship in GIS
Dewitt Conservation Commission
Natural Resource Inventory
East Syracuse, NY
Continental Village Water District
Water Treatment in the Town of Cortland
Lake George Association
Environmental Education Intern
Lake George, NY
Airtek Environmental Corp.
Field work, sample collection, clerical work
Long Island City, NY
Student Conservation Association – Hudson Valley Corps.
New Paltz, NY
Chenango County Department of Planning and Development
Headwaters Youth Conservation Corps at The Place
Facilities Planning Office
SUNY Oneonta Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory
SUNY Oneonta, NY
Office of Campus Life
Public Relations Greek Internship
SUNY Oneonta, NY
Physical Education Department
GIS Maps of Area Trails for Biking & Hiking
SUNY Oneonta, NY
Oswego County Planning Department
GIS Specialist Intern
Environmental Assessment and Remediation Corporation
Department of Environmental Resources
NYSDEC Rogers Environmental and Educational Center
Naturalist Internship, Environmental Education
Hydro Environmental Solutions (HES)
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Environmental Conservation: Bald Eagle and Canadian Geese
Environmental Science & Planning Internship
Delaware County Soil and Water Conservation District
Database collection for agricultural program in the NYC Watershed
Suffolk County Environmental Stewardship
Piping Plover Recovery
West Sayville, NY
Dvirka and Bartilucci Consulting Engineers
Installation and servicing environmental remediation system
Suffolk County Public Works – Hwy Division – Hwy Design
Storm Water Management
Out of State
The Discovery Center
E Coli and Hypoxia Investigation
Big Hole National Battlefield