Foreign Language requirement (FL2)
We highly recommend that students meet their FL2 as early as possible. Too many students wait until close to graduation to remember that they haven’t met their language requirement. Students who take it early, as soon as they start their career as undergrads, still remember the work they have done prior and are likely to do well. Delaying only reduces their ability to use and improve their language skills. Moreover, the quality of instruction, at the college level, is appealing enough to trigger vocations in the field of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
* The following courses are approved at SUNY-Oneonta for completion of the General Education Foreign Language requirement:
American Sign Language 101,102
* Latin does NOW fulfill the FL2 requirement.
Taking the course
* For any of the approved languages, novice language students may fulfill the FL2 requirement by satisfactory completion of the 101-level course.
* Students with Foreign Language credits from another college must consult with Academic Advisement to see if the course will transfer and if it will count toward the FL2 requirement.
Testing out of the requirement
* International students with a native language other than English should consult with the Office of International Education regarding waiver of this requirement.
Please consult the Resources page if you need to review before taking the test.
Proficiency exams are offered by appointment only in the language lab, 300 Schumacher Hall. Please Please contact the department for appointments at x3409 x3409.
ASL: Written and videotaped proficiency exam offered by appointment.