Non-Course Requirements Early Childhood/Childhood
Education - ECCE (Birth-6) Majors
Required to enter the first Professional Methods Semester (block):
- Pass the College Writing Exam (call 436-3010).
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
- All coursework completed except the Methods Semester and Student
- No grade below a “C” (2.0) in 100 level required coursework.
- Minimum GPA of 2.8 in the Concentration.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in the following seven core courses: EDUC 106, EDUC
201, EDUC 213, EDUC 253, EPSY 240, EPSY 275, EPSY 280.
- Sign-up to complete the Admission-to-Candidacy Application.
Information regarding this will be available each semester by email and
as posting on the Elementary Education Department bulletin board.
Required to enter second Professional Methods Sequence
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.8 in first Methods Semester coursework.
- No grade below a "C" in EDUC 235 and EPSY 275.
- All coursework completed except second Methods Semester and
- No grade below a “C” (2.0) in the Related Work.
- No grade below a “C” in the Concentration.
- Minimum of 2.8 in the Concentration.
Required to enter Student Teaching:
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0 in Methods Semester.
- No more than 18 months between Methods Semester and Student
Recommended Before Graduation:
- Complete Diploma and Teacher Certification Applications.
- Establish Credentials Folder in Career Development Office.
Candidates submitting teaching license applications to NYSED will
be issued an Initial License. Initial license requirements:
- Complete Child Abuse Recognition and Reporting Seminar and
School Violence Prevention Seminar. Both are included in EDUC 213.
- Finger Printing
- DASA Training (also included in EDUC 213).
- Must Pass all State Tests: Content Specialty Test (CST), Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST), Educating All Students Test (EAS), and the educative Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA).
The State University of New York at Oneonta reserves the right to
make changes in policies, requirements, and regulations as conditions
change and such revisions are necessary subsequent to the publication of
the college catalog. This information is current as of August 2015.