Service-Learning Designation (SL)
Faculty who are teaching a course with a service-learning component and want the SL designation for their course, should follow this process:
- Fill out this form (fillable form if you open in Adobe Acrobat)
- Read through the SL Designation Process and Parameters document
- Send a copy of the syllabus along with the form in #1 to Wendy Mitteager at CSRC (email or mail)
*If your course has an optional only SL assignment, you should still follow the parameters, but cannot receive the SL attribute designation.
Please contact Wendy Mitteager, the Faculty SL Coordinator with questions at 607-436-2676.
Service-Learning Program Options For Faculty Members
Faculty who are interested in Service-Learning for their courses should contact the Faculty Coordinator of SL, Wendy Mitteager at CSRC (436-2676).
Look at the document above, for the parameters required for a SL course. This applies to courses with a required or optional SL components.
Service opportunities are arranged in coordination with the CSRC. The CSRC already has established community partners but if there is another community partner you have in mind, the CSRC is happy to work with you on establishing an effective and collaborative relationship.
Things to consider when developing a SL component:
- How will the service experience connect with and enhance the curriculum objectives?
- Will the SL project be required or optional?
- What type of reflection will be required - presentation, reflection papers, reflection journal?
- How many hours and activities will be required for each student?
- Will you meet with the community partner ahead of time to discuss the SL objectives?
- How will your service activity fulfill a community need?
- How hours will be recorded (starting with timesheets)
- Who will be supervising the students' on-site experiences?
- Will the community partner play a rold in evaluating the service?
- Will the community partner receive any tangible products as a result of a placement?